Thursday, May 1, 2008

Albert Ledner, New Orleans Architect

On my trip to New Orleans I discovered that one of my favorite buildings is for sale. Designed by Albert Ledner for the National Maritime Union, the building served in recent years as a church. It's about a 15 minute walk from my parent's house, about 5 minutes from the Garden District, so I walked over and took the pictures below. In New York Ledner designed two buildings for the Union: one is now the Maritime Hotel and the other is part of St Vincent's hospital and currently known as the O'Toole building. St Vincent's wants to demolish O'Toole along with all its other buildings so a developer can build luxury high-rises and a new hospital. For more on Ledner and the fight to save O'Toole go to DOCOMOMO's website and download their excellent PDF: